Thursday, March 15, 2012

Crock Pot Beef Stew

This is a great beginner recipe for someone just learning how to cook. Its so healthy and very hard to mess up! Many recipes I see for this stew say to brown the stew meat in flour on the stove before putting it into the crockpot. I have always just put the meat in the crockpot raw and nothing bad has happened to me yet. Its up to you.

What you will need:
around 1-1.5 lb of stew meat (may say Beef for Stew on the package)
3 stalks of celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 average sized bag of baby carrots
1 package of Beef Stew Mix (I use McCormick, some will say "For Slow Cooker" and some just say beef stew, I have used both and it turns out just fine either way)
1 can of whole kernel corn (drained)

Directions:
Put the stew meat in the crockpot, like I said, I put it in raw, you can brown it in flour in a skillet if you would like. I then add the package of beef stew seasoning mix and add water to it. I always look on the back of the package to see how many cups of water it asks for. Usually its 2 3/4 or 3 cups. Stir it up. I then add all of my chopped vegetables. You can really do whatever you want, and put however much you want and I dont think you can mess it up. I peel the potatoes and then cut them in cubes, but you can always leave the skin on. Once I added a can of green beans to my stew, and I was thinking a can of peas may be good too. Add as many of the baby carrots as you want, you can cut them in half or just add them whole. Whatever is easier for you. I love this recipe because most of the ingrediants can just be thrown in right out of the package. This helps when you are preparing the crockpot in the morning before work. Cook it on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Honestly low is best because the meat gets so juicy and tender. This one will make your house smell delicious and its nice knowing that everything in the stew is fresh and healthy. I love this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment